You may think that you can have a family reunion by going to any resort and renting a bunch of rooms. However, you may be overlooking some factors that make for successful family reunions. Be sure to pick a place where you family can have a mix of activities vs some nice relaxation time for family bonding. Plan your family reunion at least six months to a year in advance as it will take plenty of planning. You will need to appoint an organized family leader that has plenty of time to choose a location and budget.
- Do you want indoor or outdoor group space for meetings, talents shows or just hanging out together?
- Do you want to have private group dinners together? Will you be cooking or having the food made for you?
- Did you know that you may get a better rate by booking group space?
- Consider where the bulk of your family live and stay somewhere that is close for the majority of your family to make it easy for them to travel to the destination.
- Survey your family early on to figure out a budget and date.
I’ve put together a list of some of my 10 best resorts for family reunions:
1. Disney’s Aulani Resort – Oahu, Hawaii – Although not for every budget, if you can family can spring it, they will love having a family reunion in Hawaii. Aulani has plenty of activities to keep the kids entertained, while the adults can relax with spa treatments. The resort has group spaces that can accommodate up to 300 guests. I have lots of other recommendations for Hawaii resorts.
2. Cruises are actually a great choice for family reunions. Since they are all-inclusive, your food is taken care and no once is stuck planning out the next meal. Entertainment options are available for every age group. Choose a cruise on the coast closest to the majority of your family members as some may want to drive to the port.
3. Chateau on the Lake – Branson, MO – This gorgeous resort overlooks Table Rock Lake where you can rent a boat, go jet skiing or fishing. The resort is beautiful (I’ve stayed there) and it has group space to accommodate 10-3000 people. Book your family to some of the family friendly shows in Branson or go to the Silver Dollar Amusement park.
4. Mohonk Mountain House – New Paltz, NY – Located 90 minutes north of New York City and near the Catskill mountains, you’ll find this castle inspired getaway on 2200 acres. 3 meals a day are included in your stay. In the Summer there is a kids’ program that includes crafts, star-gazing and other activities. In the Winter family activities include ice-skating, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing and tubing. Other family activities can be arranges such as campfires with s’mores, sing-alongs, treasure hunts, scavenger hunts, movies, hayrides, and mystery games. You family reunion stay can be in hotel rooms, suites and cottages.
5. Reunion Golf & Spa Resort – Orlando, FL If you want a Disney World reunion, you’ll love this place. It is close to the Disney resorts and has hotel, villas and vacation homes set around a beautiful golf course. Plus the resort has lots of activities – a lazy river and water park, tennis and spa services and kid crafts.
6. Beaches Resorts – If you budget allows, you may want to consider staying at these fabulous resorts in the Caribbean. Chose from Beaches Turks & Caicos or Beaches Ocho Rios. This resort has rooms that accomodate large families and with all food and activities taken care of, it’s one of the easiest vacations you can have. Kids and teen clubs are available as well as scuba diving for the adults.
7. Basin Harbor Club – Lake Champlain, Vermont – Located on 700 acres, this lake site is great for all ages. They have supervised kids and teen activities. Your family group can stay in 1, 2 or 3 bedroom cottages or stay in a guesthouse. This resort has a country club feel as males older than 12 are required to wear a jacket in the main dining room. Group space can accommodate up to 500 people.
8. Hotel del Coronado San Diego, CA – San Diego is a great place for a relaxed family reunion. There’s plenty of activities such as Sea World, the San Diego Zoo, and the Wild Animal Kingdom Park. Be sure to leave lots of time to just relax at the beach. Your stay at the Hotel del Coronado will be in hotel rooms, cottages or villas. The resort has kid and teen activities such as surfing lessons, paddleboard rentals, boogie boards, volleyball and more.
9. Homestead Resort – Midway, UT
Nestled in a cute mountain town, The Homestead Resort is the perfect family setting for a reunion. Summer activities include golf, hikes, volleyball, and free concerts on select nights. Be sure and soak in the natural underground hot Springs crater. In the winter months take a ride on the horse-drawn sleigh and skiing and snow tubing are close by. Accommodations include resort rooms, family bunk rooms, cottage rooms and suites. Our family still raves about the amazing family reunion we experienced at the Homestead Resort.
10. Wintergreen Resort – Wintergreen, VA
This resort is located in the Blue Ridge Mountains – 3 hours from Washington, D.C. This resort can accommodate family reunions year round. The resort features mountain recreation and amenities including 45 holes of championship golf on two courses; exhilarating winter skiing, snowboarding and snow-tubing; tennis, and outdoor recreation such as hiking, fly fishing, swimming, a zip-line and more. They also offer children’s activities and spa services. Your accommodations are studio to four-bedroom condominiums and up to 5 bedroom houses.
Whether you have a small group, or a very large family group, Snob Trips can take a lot of headaches out of helping you book the perfect resort for a family reunion. Give us a call to discuss your next group trip.
Call us at 877-34-TRIPS or send an email to Krista@SnobTrips.com